Attendees: Dani, Chris, Lisa and Kim.
Drug Policy and Testing
DOT is enforcing the five (5) panel drug screen, additional random testing is expected in domicile and outstations. Drug testing accomplished by testing a urine specimen.
A list of these five drug tests are:
Frontier reserves the right to make any policy more stringent than DOT/FAA regulations. Frontier has also established its own policies with respect to employees who use illegal drugs and/or misuse alcohol. These include non-federally mandated testing. A Prescription (Rx) and Over-the-Counter (OTC) Policy is included in the Anti Drug and Alcohol Misuse and Prevention Policy as part of the provisions set forth by Frontier 's authority.
- Bath Salts ~ Newsletter February 18th, 2013
- Has your Physician prescribed any of the following: Hydrocodone, Lortab, Vicodin, Norco, Morphine, Perocet, Oxycodine, OcyContin, Codeine and the newest Zohybro (pure hydrocodone)?
If so, you can test positive for an opiate. The newest pain killer (zohybro) has serious lethal issues and we urge everyone to research this medication before taking it. It is not to be used by functional working people. The drugs listed above are the only medications currently being tested under the DOT. Since we are not medically certified, we do not follow under the same testing as pilots but if you have any questions on any medications that are not listed above, please call one of us.
Several Frontier Flight Attendants will be attending a training seminar on Jan. 23rd
in San Jose, CA on their own with carriers throughout the world to gain knowledge and understanding of this. We are hoping to get Frontier on board with a program as other Airlines have so that we can become aware of humans being transported on our airlines for this. The top 2 airports used for transporting children and women for human trafficking are Atlanta and Chicago O’Hare. New York is considered a hub city for human trafficking, the Super bowl is the largest event in the US involving human trafficking and nearly 800,000 women and children are being transported for trafficking. We will get you more information and the person to contact at Frontier for more information on this matter.
Several carriers have taken diagnostic information on FMLA and/or medical paperwork and have placed flight attendants under return to work monitoring programs consistent with self disclosure practice. The companies call this “Company knowledge”. Please be on the look out for this and report any instance to your local EAP so they can contact International.
Our EAP committee is going to work with our pilots group if you suspect any crew member of being under the influence of alcohol/drugs. We would like for our pilots and flight attendants to work together on this issue and to get help for one another. We work closely with our pilots group and want to continue to do that on this issue as well. Please call a local EAP representative if you have any suspicions or call the International number at 1-800-424-2406 first.
Check out the film trailer for the “anonymous people” which focuses on a more public profile for recovering individuals. (Alcohol or drug use). You can find the trailer at vimeo.com/64948005.
Other topics discussed:
We would like to wish everyone a Happy 2014! Fly Safe!
- Kim will establish an AFA Mentor group for Frontier Flight Attendant’s in Crisis.
- Chris will forward the NEW INSURANCE information to the Director of AFA EAP.
- Department of Labor is working with International EAP (IEAP) to re-craft the language that the Department of Labor uses to describe the duties of a flight attendant. The goal is to secure more first responder language vs. customer service language.
- Nearly one in five American adults, or 43.7 million people, experienced a diagnosable mental illness in 2012 according to SAMHSA. These results are consistent with 2011 findings.Top three reasons adults did not get mental health treatment in 2012:
- They worried about affording the cost.
- They thought they could handle the problem without treatment.
- They did not know where to receive services.
Dani, Chris, Lisa and Kim
Your AFA Local 71 EAP/Pro-Standards Committee