Why Would I Contact This Committee?
The Grievance Committee is available to help you with:
Guidance and assistance in situations where contractual violations have occurred
Representation in disciplinary meetings and hearings
You are entitled to union representation during any conversation with management!
Specific Duties & Responsibilities
- Enforce the contract
- Represent all Flight Attendants when unjust discipline is issued
- Collect evidence and establish that the alleged violation has occurred. Solicit documentation as needed.
- Clearly and persuasively explain the union’s position concerning a grievance
- Frankly explain to a grievant when there is little or no chance of winning a grievance
- Ensure that time limits are met for filing
- File grievances
- Handle initial grievance hearings; report the results to the LEC Officers and the grievant
- Keep complete files on assigned cases
- Assist union attorneys in preparing grievances for System Board
- Keep the grievant informed about the processing of his/her grievance
- Review material, handle correspondence, and keep the LEC Officers well informed of current grievance developments
- Communicate regularly with the membership about decisions on local grievances—promote wins and explain ramifications of a loss
- Write grievance articles for local membership communications upon request by the LEC Officers